Tuesday, July 20, 2010

SINFUL by Charlotte Featherstone

Historical Romance
Harlequin Spice
Sensuality Rating: Sizzling
ISBN #978-0-373-60543-9
$13.95
336 pages
eBook & Trade Paperback—Available Now

Rating: 4.5 Enchantments

Jane Rankin's only goal in life is to be respectable. Her past has shown her what happens to those without such a goal, and she refuses to put herself into that position. She's a paid companion by day, and a nurse by night. Her job as a companion has placed her on the edge of the aristocracy. She began nursing to fulfill a debt, but in it she has found respectable work that she enjoys and can envision herself to continue on into the future.


Matthew, Earl of Wallingford, is a disreputable rake. He would rather debase himself with scandal than become a respectable hypocrite. He suffers from a secret that he can never divulge. Something so shameful that he could not it bear to be known. He cannot open himself up to the vulnerability of emotion.


When Matthew is beaten and left for dead, he awakens to the touch and sound of an Angel. Jane makes him yearn for her in a way he's never felt about anybody. Jane is drawn to Matthew's forbidden touch. Can either of these lost souls learn to trust and love one another?

****

SINFUL by no means follows any standard formula for historical romance. I was enthralled by Jane and Matthew's actions and emotions in reaction to their painful life experiences. While the last ¼ of the book ticked me off, I could still appreciate the unconventional Happily Ever After. I really liked this story, I just didn't care for how some of the predicaments where handled.

I hated the situations Jane and Matthew were forced into, as their choices were abysmal, but that is also what made this book so good, as it forced the characters to move on into directions that I wouldn't have foreseen. I'll be honest, part of my reason for reading romance is that awful situations can be easily solved by the authors stroke of a pen. I commend Ms. Featherstone for NOT doing that. In her writing she brought forth so many emotions. The sizzling heat of passion between Jane and Matthew kept the pages fairly smoldering, and I could feel the pain and hate that Matthew and Jane faced.

This was my first experience with Charlotte Featherstone, but it will not be the last, as she has shown me that she can write a HOT romance with some very enticing characters and interesting plot twists, that I don't see coming.

Aemelia
Enchanting Reviews
July 2010

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...