Friday, August 21, 2009

MASTER by Colette Gale

MASTER: an Erotic Novel of the Count of Monte Cristo
COLETTE GALE
Erotica, Historical
Signet Eclipse
Sensuality Rating: Sizzling
ISBN #978-0-451-22412-5
343 Pages
$14.00
Trade: Available Now

Rating: 3 Enchantments

When Edmond Dantes finally escapes the prison walls which encased him for years, he returns home in disguise, on a path of revenge, as the wealthy Count of Monte Cristo. Nobody is quite sure where the Count is from, but one woman sees through the facade, as she gazes into the eyes of the man she once loved.

When the man Mercedes Herrera Mondego she loved vanished without a trace, she was sure her life was at an end. Married to a man she despises, she has never found a glimmer of the happiness she once cherished. Now her beloved has returned, though only she seems to realize it. But instead of a joyful reunion she discovers he is out for vengeance, and not just against the men who betrayed him, but also against her.

Will Edmond be content with the destruction of the lives of those who ruined him? Will he be the master to Mercedes, as he enslaves her in his passionate pursuit and retaliation efforts?

Honestly my biggest problem with this book was I was expecting a romance, but what I got out of it was an erotic novel, the romance just didn't work for me. The Count of Monte Cristo has always been one of my favorite books and movie adaptations, so I was eager to see how Ms. Gale wove one of my favorite classics into an erotic romance. Maybe my expectations were too high. While there was an unmistakable chemistry between Edmond and Mercedes, I just felt he was to cruel in his revenge to be a romance hero, okay that probably sounds silly especially with all the “revenge” themed romances out there, some of which I really like, but what I mean is that I never really felt him warm up to her, he always held himself aloof. I felt bad for Mercedes as she tried to regain her lost love, but never seemed to quite succeed. As erotica this was a fair read, but still not something that I was enthralled with. The story was peppered with many scorching hot and sometimes rather kinky sex scenes, but just great sex scenes doesn't make a good book for me, I need more plot that I can get into.

Colette Gale is the nom de guerre of a popular historical author. You can learn more about her and her books on her website: www.colettegale.com.

Aemelia
Enchanting Reviews
July 2009

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...